JWildfire Sanctuary

JWildfire Sanctuary

Link vs. Add

Home Forums Questions Link vs. Add

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Bruce 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Bruce
    Participant

Can someone explain the difference between when a variable is linked from simply adding a variable? I read every once in awhile someone will use the term link. And when does one use Link as opposed to Add?

Anastasia
    Participant

That’s a very good question, Bruce, and I wonder the same thing. I sometimes will add a linked transform without understanding what it does…I just know it does something different than strictly adding a transform. I do a lot of stuff with JWildfire that I don’t understand. I’m more of an intuitive fractal artist. I just explore and use a lot of trial and error. I’ll see if I can get someone in here to answer your question.

Anastasia
    Participant

While we’re waiting for someone to offer an answer, here are two links I just found that may help.

Also, I found this definition in a glossary of terms: Linked transform – A transform in a particular intimate relationship with another via xaos, opacity and color speed settings. Essentially, one transform’s ‘traffic’ (hits within the Chaos Game) is routed exclusively through another, which effectively becomes a post-transform with full transform properties.

Chaos Game
    The defining process for creating IFS (and therefore flame) fractals: a random point is ‘tranformed’ by the mapping function(s) (variations) contained in each of the transforms, the choice of which is influenced by the transform weight. The final fractal, to have sufficient aesthetic appeal, must have been generated by millions of such iterations.

The glossary of terms is found here: http://www.ultragnosis.com/fractals/Resources/Apophysis-Glossary.html

Note: That page was written for Apophysis, but there are many similarities to JWildfire. Most of it is the same.

I hope that helps for now. I’ll go ask some others what they think.

https://fr0st.wordpress.com/2008/08/23/linked-transform-tutorial/

https://piethein21.deviantart.com/art/Linked-Xform-Tutorial-433234759

Anastasia
    Participant

Michael Hobbs got back with me on the answer to your question. This is a direct copy-and-paste from what he told me:

have a link to Andreas answering exactly this question. his answer – “1. Normally, in solving the IFS (iterated function system) each transform may be chosen after each other (independently).

2. You can influence this by choosing two types of weights:
    – absolute weights (absolute probability to choose a certain transform at all)
    – relative weights between transform A and B (probability to chose transform B, if transform A was selected before)

By default, all absolute weights are equal, and all relative weights are 1.0

3. A linked transform between two transforms A and B is a shortcut to set relative weights in a way, that
    a) transform B can only be chosen after A was chosen
    b) transform B is always chosen after A was chosen

I. E., a linked transform can also be achieved by setting the relative weights manually”

Bruce
    Participant

Thanks for that. It is interesting that when i was in high school I thought mathematics was a waste of time and something i did not do well at. I studied architecture in school and eventually settled on being a draftsman as my profession until i got into estimating. I can remember early on in my training that i would not be needing much math in my future endeavors. I might have to rethink that. But then again at 62 ….. well …..

Anastasia
    Participant

Well if it makes you feel any better, I majored in mathematics in college and I forgot all of it!

Bruce
    Participant

Thanks. I do feel better.

Michael
    Participant

George Carlin said this in his routine about his college experience. Five years after he left he said he could fit everything he remembered from his college education on a five minute cassette tape. 😉

Bruce
    Participant

I Like That.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.